mlleelizabeth

Liz Loves Books

Request for Opinions and Information re: The Authors Guild, The Authors Alliance and Author Representative Groups, Generally

I am requesting opinions and information from anyone who would like to share regarding:

1.  The Authors Guild, generally and specifically their positions regarding e-publishing, non-legacy publishers, self-publishing, other groups representing authors and/or intellectual property rights.  (Yes, I know that's a lot!)

2.  Groups representing and/or purporting to represent authors, generally.

3.  The Authors Alliance, generally and specifically their positions regarding e-publishing, non-legacy publishers, self-publishing, other groups representing authors and/or intellectual property rights.  (Yes, again, I know that's a lot!)

By anyone, I mean anyone who has an opinion, whether you are an author, a member of either of those groups or any other group representing an author, a reader, a bookseller, a publisher, a reviewer, an archivist or anyone else with an opinion on the subject.

Disclaimer:  My sister is an author published by a legacy publisher and I believe she is a member of the Authors Guild.  I am not an author, nor do I have any personal ties to any publisher or group that represents or purports to represent authors.

I am not looking for an argument.  Rather, I am looking for a variety of opinions and any facts anyone may have before I form an opinion.  The only opinion I hold right now is that there are probably 6 to 15 sides to the story and most of what's being tossed around is to be taken with a grain of salt.  And that's why I'm looking for more information.  Plus I'm happy to give folks a forum to clear the air, or rant or whatever.  Just don't expect me to jump in taking a side.  My current opinion is:  I don't know.