mlleelizabeth

Liz Loves Books

30 Day Book Challenge, Bonus Day 31 - A Book that Scared the Snot out of You

The Haunting of Hill House - Shirley Jackson, Laura Miller We Have Always Lived in the Castle - Shirley Jackson, Thomas Ott, Jonathan Lethem

I have read horror longer than any other genre and this is the book I judge horror books by.  It's the book that began my fascination with psychological terror.  My fascination with ghosts and all things paranormal originated from living in a haunted house, but I think this book intensified it greatly.

I first encountered The Haunting of Hill House (Penguin Classics) - Shirley Jackson when I was about 10 years old and it was the 1963 movie version that my sister talked me into watching. I had nightmares for weeks after. Despite that, I loved it.  The 1963 movie is incredibly scary, but I think the book is even scarier.  I read it 4 years after seeing the movie for the first time. Before that I didn't realize a book could scare me that much. And it's not so much the ghosties that scare me, it's more Eleanor's psychological isolation.  Ms. Jackson had quite a gift for creating tension in her characters.

I love We Have Always Lived in the Castle (Penguin Classics Deluxe Edition) - Shirley Jackson  as well but I think The Haunting of Hill House is a masterpiece and I think I could read it a hundred times and it would still scare the snot out of me.

Edited to Add: