mlleelizabeth

Liz Loves Books

30 Day Book Challenge, Day 24 - A Book You Wish Everyone Would Read

In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto - Michael Pollan Think Like a Cat: How to Raise a Well-Adjusted Cat--Not a Sour Puss - Pam Johnson-Bennett

I am not much of a book evangelist.  I don’t like having books shoved at me and I tend to not read the book when that happens.  For that reason, I usually only recommend books when someone asks for recommendations.  There are a couple of books I have to stop myself from suggesting to almost everyone I know.  Both of them are books that changed my life for the better and I can’t help wanting everyone to benefit from them.

The first, In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto - Michael Pollan contains information I already knew but Michael Pollan presents it in a way that made it finally sink in.  It can be summed up in three simple but profound sentences:

Eat food.  Not too much.  Mostly plants.

That’s it.  But that is so much more difficult than it sounds like it would be.  Pollan makes it all make sense.

The second,  Think Like a Cat: How to Raise a Well-Adjusted Cat--Not a Sour Puss - Pam Johnson-Bennett, I am recommending not just to cat lovers, but to everyone.  I worry I’m going to insult people by saying this, but I know a lot of people who think cats are dogs that purr.  I thought that most of my life as well.  Not consciously, of course but it was hanging there in the back of my mind.  But in reality they are so different in the way they view the world and their fellow cats and their human companions and above all, their territories that treating them like dogs does nothing but bring misery to both the human and the cats.  While there are other cat books that are almost as good, I believe Pam Johnson’s is the best.