mlleelizabeth

Liz Loves Books

30 Day Book Challenge, Day 17 - Favorite Quote from Favorite Book

Pride and Prejudice (Puffin Classics) - Linda M. Jennings, Linda Jennings, Jane Austen

One of my favorite smackdowns ever:

From the very beginning— from the first moment, I may almost say— of my acquaintance with you, your manners, impressing me with the fullest belief of your arrogance, your conceit, and your selfish disdain of the feelings of others, were such as to form the groundwork of disapprobation on which succeeding events have built so immovable a dislike; and I had not known you a month before I felt that you were the last man in the world whom I could ever be prevailed on to marry.”
Pride and Prejudice (Puffin Classics) - Jane Austen

This is where I got to cheat a bit.  Because I have prohibited myself from using Jane Austen's works for more than one category, but since I am using one of her novels as my favorite book, I also get to use it today. I could have chosen almost anything in the book to be my favorite quote.  But I love a good smackdown and Elizabeth's is one of the best ever.  I think my second favorite quote from P&P is what Mr. Bennett tells Elizabeth after she has told him of Mr. Collins's proposal:

"An unhappy alternative is before you, Elizabeth. From this day you must be a stranger to one of your parents. Your mother will never see you again if you do not marry Mr. Collins, and I will never see you again if you do."

Pride and Prejudice (Puffin Classics) - Jane Austen