mlleelizabeth

Liz Loves Books

30 Day Book Challenge, Day 8 - Most Overrated Book

A Game of Thrones  - George R.R. Martin

Ah, today is the day we all insult each other’s favorite books.

I have seen the Harry Potter books declared overrated so many times it doesn’t even register any more.  In addition to them, I suspect Twilight and Fifty Shades of Gray will appear often.  Also Wolf Hall.  I think every bestseller is overrated to someone.  A chacun son gout!

I can’t choose Fifty Shades of Gray because I haven’t read it and I am not going to.  Ever.  I read bits of Master of the Universe and thought it was dreadful.  I’ve read parts of a few of the dozens (or are we up to hundreds now?) of stupid new adult knock offs of it and they are all dreadful as well.  So I am certain it is dreadful, but I haven’t read it and it is basically “fantasy with a very personal purpose” and I suppose it succeeds well enough at that, so instead my personal choice is:

My personal choice:

I like fantasy.  I like complicated world building and I like family sagas (and let’s face it, this is one).  I tried to like this book.  I tried four times to like this book.  And I don’t hate it.  I’m not even disappointed in it.  I just don’t think it is the incredible book that I keep hearing it is.

I found it almost all the characters unlikeable or worse - boring.  The only one I liked was the illegitimate son who was serving at some outpost and I was sort of interested in the warlord (Khal Drogo, I think) and the brother-sister team that were involved with him.  But every time the book returned to the Starks and Lannisters, I fell asleep.  Blaaaaah.  Which is what I think of most of this book.  It is just blah.