mlleelizabeth

Liz Loves Books

30 Day Book Challenge - Day 3, Favorite Series (Other than Harry Potter)

Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 01 - Hiromu Arakawa The Lord of the Rings - J.R.R. Tolkien Dancing Shoes  - Noel Streatfeild The Complete Christie: An Agatha Christie Encyclopedia - Matthew Bunson James Bond 007 Giftset - Ian Fleming The Mane Event  - Shelly Laurenston Slave to Sensation - Nalini Singh

The "other than Harry Potter" bit is my own rule for this challenge.

There are so many series I could choose:  LOTR, Noel Streatfeild's Shoe Books, Agatha Christie's Hercule Poirot or Miss Marple mysteries, Ian Fleming's James Bond series, Shelly Laurenston or the Psy-Changling series by Nalini Singh.  They all have elements I love and on any given day I can claim any of them as a favorite.

It was easy to pick one as my non-Harry Potter favorite series.  I didn't expect it to be, but it was.

Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 1 - Hiromu Arakawa  has everything!  Adventure, drama, mystery, monsters, (subtle) romance, trains!, fight scenes, a just and righteous cause and a group of rebels fighting for it that I came to love.  The old "made me laugh, made me cry" cliche is so true with FMA.  The ending fell just a tiny smidgeon short of perfect for me, but as a whole it was as close as any series I've read has come.  It also has some outstanding artwork.

The original anime was my gateway drug to this series.  I watched it as a favor for a friend who wanted me to roleplay Alphone Elric in an RPG*.  It diverges substantially from the plot of the manga and after several friends coerced me, I gave the manga a try when it was at volume 16ish (though I did start from the beginning).  I was instantly hooked.  The manga story (which is also the story used in the second anime version - Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood) is far superior to the story in the first anime.  This was one of those gobsmacking wow stories for me.  So to the friend who first introduced me to the FMA universe and the several friends who encouraged me to read the manga, thank you.

*I subsequently got hooked on Princess Tutu, Scrapped Princess and the movies of Hayao Myazaki as a result.  Watching FMA opened up a new world for me.