mlleelizabeth

Liz Loves Books

Marriage Meltdown - Emma Darcy These people need counseling.Okay, now that this off my chest, while I think this book is fairly well written, it also has a lot of problems. First and foremost is what I've written above. Both the hero and the heroine have some deeply ingrained problems that I don't believe could be solved through a conversation or two and some hot sex. The hero, especially, is carrying around baggage from a failed first marriage that he hasn't dealt with. And he's got an archaic, chauvinistic madonna/whore mindset that needs changing. The heroine's got some pretty serious self-esteem issues and seemed really immature to me, especially for a mother of three children.Then there's the evil villainess, his PA. Yes, she's pretty awful. But it's also pretty obvious she hooked her talons in the hero because she was able to. Because he was emotionally available and she knew it. While I do think the hero sees some of his complicity, he ends up dumping far too much of the blame on the villainess. Counseling would help him see the part he played.I know that most HPs wouldn't have a point if the couple just talked things through and got some professional help. But in this case the need for counseling is so overwhelming that I can't buy their HEA. It was a super quick read for me. Less than 2 hours and I was distracted watching my kitten play. I had trouble relating to either the hero or heroine because I wanted to ask him if he kept his women in binders and then punch him. And then I wanted to shout at her to grow up. But I didn't hate it. I may not have been emotionally engaged with the characters, but I was emotionally engaged with the story. It was like watching two drivers attempted to avoid an unavoidable wreck. I wanted them to succeed. They both seem like they want to succeed. I just can't believe that they will.