mlleelizabeth

Liz Loves Books

Revenge and Redemption - Jennie Brumley I have mixed feelings about this book. It's an enemies-to-lovers story with a fairly typical bbw heroine. The plot is quite good. There were a few twists that helped keep things fresh even though the plot is basically an HP. Some of the characters are well written for this type of story though I felt the villains were cartoonish. The hero, the heroine and the hero's sister are all pretty well fleshed out. The first real problem I had with this book is that I never got any sense of time and place from it. Both seemed fairly generic. Brisbane might as well have been Houston, Naples or San Diego. There were cell phones so it had to take place post-1990 something but I didn't get much other contemporary feeling from it. I think it took place in winter (but in Australia so maybe June or July or???) but I never got a strong feeling of winterness. And neither the setting nor the time had any bearing on the plot. The second problem for me was that at times the dialogue sounded like it was written by a very young person. It occasionally threw me out of the story. It took me a long time to read because, even though I enjoyed it, I never really sucked me in.I did like this book. I just wanted to like it more. It seems to fall into the trap I'm finding with a lot of bbw books: it seems a little slapsash and thrown together. In this case I don't think it's deliberate but I do think the author is capable of producing much better work. There were glimmers of it throughout the book. I found the lesser quality all the more disappointing due to the indications it could have been a better book. It was good. It could have been very good or even great. I'll end on a positive note -- Revenge and Redemption is a nice, fairly long bbw romance with a well written plot that I honestly enjoyed.