mlleelizabeth

Liz Loves Books

Chasing Perfect (Fool's Gold, #1) - Susan Mallery This book is dated and nonsensical but still pulls off being a fun romance read. I think the town, Fools Gold, must actually be part of the Harry Potter wizarding universe. It allegedly has no single men but the heroine seems to be surrounded by them. It is supposed to be a small town but it has a large, thriving tourist industry (no men work at the ski resort?), a massive-sounding windmill sales and manufacturing business (no men work in windmill manufacturing and sales?), a branch of the state university (not a county community college but a university!), numerous golf courses, and some other things I'd consider spoilers, so It's big enough to host some major international bike race but it's a small town. Right.... I liked it anyway. The story flowed well and it had just the right angst/love scene/humor ratio and some good character development for both the hero and heroine. The hero's always a good guy which is a big plus to me. The heroine's a little obtuse but not enough to make me dislike her. And she's certainly no doormat. I thought having the heroine be the new town planner and the hero the town's favorite son was a clever way to introduce the town generally. (Though a town planner with no business/finance education or experience is utterly mind boggling to me!) There are some surprises along the way but I didn't find them all that surprising. They did help the story and the romance move along.Chasing Perfect was an enjoyable romance that left me wanting more of this particular universe despite its lack of logic. Good thing since it's the start of a series. I thought the windmill business was one of the more interesting aspects of this book and windmill guy seems to be the hero of the next.