mlleelizabeth

Liz Loves Books

Instant Attraction (Wilder, #1)

Instant Attraction (Wilder, #1) - Jill Shalvis I have mixed feelings about Instant Attraction. I loved the town and mountain setting and as a set up for the series it works very well. As a romance it is not quite so successful. Both the hero and heroine are likeable characters who have experienced some pretty traumatic difficulty. They are both being avoidant at dealing with their experiences but in opposite ways. Unfortunately the hero is very reluctant and runs away from emotions which I dislike in my romances. I also dislike romance (or worse yet, sex) as a substitute for therapy and that happens with both the hero and heroine here. Then there is a secondary romance based mainly on repeated misunderstandings, miscommunication and missed opportunities. I think it was supposed to add humor. Instead it annoyed me and made me dislike the female character intensely which is not good as she appears to be the matriarch of this family. But there were things I did like a lot, including the heroine's attitude, the rest of the secondary characters and the setting.