mlleelizabeth

Liz Loves Books

In His Eyes

In His Eyes - Emmie Dark In His Eyes is a wonderful second-chance romance. It’s the second Harlequin Superromance I’ve read from this author and I’ve enjoyed both of them very much. But please heed this warning: in both cases I’ve needed a tissue box at hand the entire time I was reading. Emmie Dark serves up big helpings up angst throughout the book.The heroine is a “bad girl” returned home for her grandfather’s last days and funeral to a small town in one of the wine producing regions of Australia. The hero is both the boy next door and the town leader. Their families have been feuding for years and the book has a very strong Romeo and Juliet feel to it. These two are haunted and controlled by their past and they both have very realistic flaws and problems they have to work through (partly together and partly on their own). Zoe is a runner and Hugh has more or less walled himself off from his own feelings (and they both turn out to be martyrs). They also get slammed with a load of family secrets, most of which are the source of their own insecurities and these are the main forces driving them towards resolution. Most of the book deals with their journey to deal with the past and change their futures and there is a lot of introspection. Usually it bothers me to be too much in the characters’ heads but that didn’t happen here. I found them to be very likeable and relatable characters and also found myself seriously invested in their relationship and happiness. Unfortunately most of the revelations are made by a character who does little but provide info dumps. That was really the only problem I had with the book and I’d only deduct half a star for him. There’s so much I did like about the book, including great descriptions of the small town and the vineyards and of the wine making process, secondary characters that are realistically annoying or tragic and the author’s use of both the wine making process and the weather to set the mood, that it’s one of my favorites from this year.I also found myself craving a glass of wine.