mlleelizabeth

Liz Loves Books

Winter of the Wolf Review

Winter of the Wolf - Cherise Sinclair

I love shifter romances as you can probably tell from my Big List of Shifter Romances. This is one of the better examples I've read.

Ms. Sinclair's done a much better job of world building than I usually find in shifter romances.  With the massive number of popular shifter romances out there, It's not all that easy to make them unique without making them hokey.  I think Ms. Sinclair's done that, mainly by writing very character-driven books that don't rely on too much paranormal fluff to give them flavor.  The trio at the center of this book have great chemistry and fit together really well.  (Yes, it is a menage though there are not a lot of threesome love scenes).  There is suspense from both within and without the pack and that works well also.

I often skim through both fight scenes and love scenes.  They become too drawn out and often don't add enough to the story to make them worth reading.  I read all of them here, without skimming.  They do add to both the plot and characterization which was a refreshing change.  (Plus Cherise Sinclair does love scenes extremely well.)

The only think that wasn't great for me was that it had been quite a while since I read the first book in the series and it didn't come back to me all that quickly.  As much as I love this world, it didn't pull me in instantly.