mlleelizabeth

Liz Loves Books

30 Day Book Challenge, Day 18 - A Book that Disappointed You

Mackenzie's Mountain - Linda Howard

Please don't hate me but ...

Mackenzie's Mountain - Linda Howard

Every single review or even mention I have ever read of this book was positively glowing.  It is apparently one of the most beloved romance novels of all time.  Or at least one of the most universally liked. So I started reading it expecting this incredible, awesome romance.

So, the good news is, I didn't hate it.  It wasn't bad, exactly.  It was dated, stale and (despite the titular mountain) flat.  I liked but did not love the hero.  The heroine had a few characteristics of my ideal heroine, but she was also finger-wagging and preachy.  The plot was okay but not great. It was too simple. I've read a lot of romantic suspense I liked better.

Again, it wasn't bad or even fair. It was somewhere between okay and good. But I was expecting amazing.  I bought the complete collection and I've never felt any desire to read beyond this first book.