mlleelizabeth

Liz Loves Books

30 Day Book Challenge, Day 7 - A Book that Makes You Laugh

Don't Try This at Home: Culinary Catastrophes from the World's Greatest Chefs - Andrew Friedman, Kimberly Witherspoon

I happen to be reading one right now!

Don't Try This at Home: Culinary Catastrophes from the World's Greatest Chefs -

I read some rom coms and other comic novels but they don’t usually make me laugh out loud.  For really funny stuff, I like collections of short stories and anecdotes.  The one I’m reading right now combines funny stories with food.  I read these stories on the bus on my way to and from work and this type of book is perfect for that.  I usually have just enough to time to read 2 of the stories in each direction so I get 4 per day.  This morning I read one about a chef who as a young man spent a month doing a stage (similar to a short apprenticeship) in a highly rated restaurant in the French countryside.  He was staying in a little guesthouse down the road from the restaurant and it was the off season so there were not many other people around.  One morning as he was frantically trying to pull himself together to get to work on time, an owl flew in his window and landed on his bed.  It did not have a Hogwarts letter, or if it did, he didn’t mention that part.  And it did not wish to leave no matter what he tried. Other stories in the collection recount kitchen disasters including hundreds of escaped eels on a kitchen floor and nights when the kitchen staff got so in the weeds they were still serving appetizers at 12:30 to tables that arrived at 8:00 or catering disasters where 1200 portions of lobster went bad overnight and had to be replaced and cooked for a party the same day

The chefs who suffered these misadventures are all fairly well known and they have great attitudes about them, at least now.  It’s a great way to start and end my work day and puts me in a good mood plus it's a good reminder that work disasters are usually fixable and are not the end of the world.  I just hope my fellow passengers don’t think I’m too odd, since it really has made me laugh out loud a few times.