mlleelizabeth

Liz Loves Books

30 Day Book Challenge Day 6 - A Book that Makes You Sad

Cassie's Grand Plan - Emmie Dark In His Eyes (Harlequin Super Romance Series #1798) - Emmie Dark What Lisa Knew: The Truth and Lies of the Steinberg Case - Josephine Johnson, Josephine Johnson

I'm posting at midnight because I really don't want to spend my Sunday thinking about my sad book.

For the past 2 or 3 years I've been in a romance novel phase.  Probably 75% of the romance novels I read make me sad at some point.  Even many of the rom coms make me sad before the end.  You have to break a couple up before you can get them back together.  The ones most likely not to make me sad are romantic suspense books though even some of those use sadness as well as suspense to provide conflict and drive the narrative. If the romance novel is well written, the sadness works to make the happy ending all that much better and those are sad books I enjoy.

I've recently read a couple of SuperRomances from Emmie Dark that were horribly sad for me in just the right way.  She tends to have third parties do much of the betraying so I don't have to hate the heroes or need as much grovel.  In In His Eyes (Harlequin Super Romance) - Emmie Dark the now deceased parental figures are the heavies though the hero and heroine don't know that and of course blame each other.  In Cassie's Grand Plan (Harlequin Super Romance) - Emmie Dark it's the heroine' s mentor. These are my two favorite sad romances for this year and I was happy to discover a somewhat new and very new to me SuperRomance author.

In the past I've gone through a lot of reading phases.  Many of them didn't contain any books that made me sad (horror, books about travel, food and gardening, textbooks on folklore and physics, biographies, religious studies) some contained a few (history, mysteries) and some contained quite a few (fantasy, women's lit).  Then there was all the true crime I read.  That was a bad phase and I remember most of every one of those I read.  Those were sad books I enjoyed in a way but they sure did not make me happy. The one I'm picking as the answer to today's challenge is What Lisa Knew: The Truth and Lies of the Steinberg Case - Josephine Johnson .  I'm not recommending it.  First of all, it is very graphic and disturbing and about the death of a child.  Second, now that I know a tiny bit more about the case and the book, it appears to be somewhat agenda driven though my understanding is that it recounts the facts of the case fairly accurately.  Boy did it make me sad when I read it. It still does.

Of course, I was sorely tempted to make the Epic Goodreads Feedback Thread of Doom my sad book.  I bet a lot of us are tempted to do that.