mlleelizabeth

Liz Loves Books

30 Day Book Challenge Day 4, Favorite Book of Your Favorite Series

Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 10 - Hiromu Arakawa, Akira Watanabe Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 15 - Hiromu Arakawa Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 16 - Hiromu Arakawa Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 22 - Hiromu Arakawa

Today’s question is why choosing a manga as my favorite series was probably not the best idea ever.  I can make it work, though, as there are some volumes of FMA that really stood out for me.  And there is one that stands out the most:

And behind a pagebreak we go because I can’t discuss more without including spoilers.

I have a lot of almost favorites to choose from.  There’s the Ishbal flashback in Volume 15 (Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 15 - Hiromu Arakawa), the introduction of Major General Olivier Armstrong in Volume 16 (Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 16 -   ), and the gang reuniting epically in Volume 22 (Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 22 - Hiromu Arakawa).  Or I could choose any (or every) volume in which Izumi appears. My all time favorite from this series, though is Volume 10. The artwork and writing are excellent in this Volume, but I don’t think I can necessarily say they are the best.  But best and favorite are not the same thing.  Volume 10 is my favorite for two reasons:

1) In this volume, Edward and Alphonse Elric have separated.  Ed’s gone home to have Winry repair his automail.  So Alphonse has to stand alone in this volume and go beyond being Ed’s Little Brother.  From this point on, I think Al became much more of a developed character.  And I love his determination and strength of will.  They are highlighted throughout this volume but are most significant when he’s trying to protect Hawkeye from Lust.

2) A lot of really intense, deep emotions are revealed her and they’re revealed more by actions than words.  Mustang just becomes epic here.  And watching Hawkeye give up when she thinks Mustang’s dead ... just about killed me.

The first anime and manga diverge just a bit before this but for me this is where the manga really began to take off.  And it makes me sob like a baby.  But I still consider it my favorite.