mlleelizabeth

Liz Loves Books

Dominant Boys of Summer 2: Nick's Lady - Katherine Kingston This book has too many plot threads, too many characters, too many relationships between characters, too many permutations of kinky smut and the result is a big muddled mess. I admire the author for attempting to tackle some more challenging relationships that most run of the mill bdsm erotica covers. And despite my lack of interest in some of the types of relationships covered, I really wish it had worked better. Unfortunately, it does not. The product description leads one to think this book is a fairly typical "boss saves employee from stalker ex and falls for her" story and that is indeed one element of the story. Layered over it are storylines involving the Hero's relationships with his parents, brother and at least two sets of friends, both the hero's and heroine's relationships with their co-workers and the heroine's relationship with her cousin and the aged aunt who raised her. The heroine appears to have no friends of her own but in this case that's actually a blessing. I don't think I could have kept up with an additional set of characters and relationships. One or two additional relationships would have been great as far as enhancing character development, but this many just make it confusing. Additionally, the author's attempt to cram this many story lines and develop this many characters into such a short work forces her into a great deal of showing rather than telling and leaves the reader a number of loose ends and a very abrupt ending. The many storylines and relationships might have worked well in an epic or at least a full length novel, but this is fairly short novella. In the end, I had trouble caring much about the eventual HEA. There is so much potential here. It's sad to see it wasted. I have a feeling this author is capable of much better work and I do plan to give her another chance, but I can't recommend this book, especially for a first encounter with this author.