mlleelizabeth

Liz Loves Books

Nine-Month Protector (Harlequin Intrigue Series) - Julie Miller Ignore the cheesey title and the fact that this is a Harlequin category romance. This is actually a very good romantic suspense story. It moves very quickly and has a lot of surprisingly believable twists and turns. The writing is tight enough to accomplish that. The two quibbles I have are that the ending's a little rushed and the mole is obvious from his first scene.I loved Coop. He's alpha without being an ass, big brother's best friend without being whiney about it, protective and sexy and caring ... *sigh* And the heroine's strong without being obnoxious and smart and capable rather than TSTL. She has flaws but she actually admits them and the couple moves on. I read this book in a couple of hours and I didn't want to be finished. It did feel like the secondary characters had their own stories to tell so this might be a series. But it also felt as though they were being snuck into the plot of this book. The one star deduction is for that and the somewhat rushed ending. The focus here is on the suspense plot and developing relationship. The love scenes are fade to black except, I think, one and even that one is not explicit. I did not find I missed the erotic scenes in this book, however. As you can tell from the title, there is a pregnancy but it is not a dreaded Secret Baby book.I recommend this book for a quick romantic and suspense filled read.Edited to add: This is the second book in mini-series within a series. I wish I'd read the first book before I read this. It sounds like Coop is sigh-worthy in it as well and I did like the lead characters from it in this second book. The previous book is Up Against the Wall (Precinct: Vice Squad, Book 1) (Precinct, Book 5).