mlleelizabeth

Liz Loves Books

Panthers' Prey - Leah Brooke Really 1.5 stars. I didn't dnf it, so that's something. It took me a week to slog my way through this book. What little plot there is has been done countless times before and done much better. The heroine is one of those "no one can ever love me types" who pushes the heroes away. She's also very tstl. One of the heroes is also reluctant. Therefore most of the book consists of sex scenes alternating with arguments and running away. The sex scenes are plentiful but not particularly hot. (And menage fans take note: despite this book being listed as menage, almost all the sex is m/f not mfm.) The book's saving grace is the second hero, James, who is both likeable and willing to work for relationships with both his mate and his best friend. (Just a friendship with the best friend. There's no m/m here.) But here's how much the book lacks in character development: we never find out anything about James besides that willingness to work for the relationship. We don't even learn what he does for a living. Ms. Brooke coyly has the heroine wonder about this (exactly once!) but never answers the question. It's clearly a set up for the plot of a future book in the series. It's manipulative and for me it served mostly to highlight the lack of characterization.Ms. Brooke has a good reputation and I've heard many recommendations for her Desire, Oklahoma series. Panthers' Prey is probably not a good introduction to her work. I have no desire to continue this series. (Yes, pun intended.) But I might try another. Someday.Edited to add: The heroes continually refer to the heroine as "my mate." They even address her this way. It's contrived and annoying.