mlleelizabeth

Liz Loves Books

The Billionaire's Secret Desire - Lietha Wards The awfulness was funny at first but eventually it just became annoying awfulness. The plot is the same one, stupid plot all new adult books have: vapid, beautiful heroine who is too obviously a stand in for the reader is relentlessly pursued by laughably ridiculous baby billionaire sex god. Blech. But this one is so much worse due to poor writing. The problems are too numerous to recount in full so I'll just hit the highlights. In addition to trusting spell check to act as her beta reader and editor (resulting in the heroine being given human waste as part of her employment package), the author used global search and replace to capitalize the word button. Thus every time anyone undresses (a surprisingly frequent occurrence given the almost complete lack of sex scenes), readers are reminded of the cloyingly sweet nickname the hero has given the heroine. I quit counting runon sentences by the second chapter. In addition to pov changes, the narrative and dialog both switch between present and past tense. And some of the sentences are constructed so poorly that I could not determine what the author was trying to say.The heroine is the worst NA heroine I've encountered: childish, inobservant and just stupid. We're never given any reason the hero is so in love with her other than her incredible beauty. Of course, she was asked to be a super model but she turned the offer down. And she has no idea at all that every man she encounters is overwhelmed by her beauty.The hero is a typical baby billionaire. He has no a actual business skills, spends the entire book drooling over the heroine or threatening the men he's trying to do business with and I was never quite sure what sort of business he was running.The brother and one other male character were reasonably well fleshed out. There is one stereotypical "motherly" secretary but all 4 of the other female secondary characters are Evil Other Women who are only there to be mean to the heroine so the hero will have to comfort her or avenge her besmirched honor.This is complete dreck. If you must read it for the funny diction errors ("I had my diver take my bag to your penthouse), see if you can borrow it rather than spending money on it.