mlleelizabeth

Liz Loves Books

Acquired: The CEO's Small-Town Bride - Catherine Mann I thought this was a very good end to the series. Sarah is a great heroine and Rafe, while he could use a good smack or two ended up being well matched with her. There is a lot of info dumping at the end, including a Big Surprise Shocker (that most readers will see coming from miles away) but most of the book deals with Rafe and Sarah dealing with the problems that drove them apart as kids. Ms. Mann does a good job of showing just how much Rafe has loved Sarah for every minute of the 14 years they've been apart. The series as a whole is okay. I don't think I would reread most of it. This is the second series I've read where different authors wrote the books that made up the series. (The first was the Maddox Communications series which I consider just a bit better than this one.) I like the idea very much. It's fun to see how different authors handle the recurring storylines and the story that runs throughout the series. But it also means some books in the series are more appealing than others. My favorite part (which I would give 5 stars as a stand alone) was the 5 chapters of backstory on Rafe and Sarah that is tagged on to the end of the first 5 books. Fortunately Ms. Mann included a lot of that as flashbacks in this book and I think she included enough background on the business takeover the series centers around that this book probably could be read as a standalone. I don't think that's possible with the other books in the series.There is one thing that I found a little mind boggling -- the Big Reveal that Worth is Race's daddy means that Emma is Rafe's half sister as well as his step-sister-in-law!Overall I thought both the book and series were pretty good. A few of the books were ho hum to me but I'm glad I stuck with the series.