mlleelizabeth

Liz Loves Books

Another Man's Baby (Harlequin Superromance) - Kay Stockham First thing; The blurb made me think there might be some cheating whinch usually sends me running. I think technically there is but it turns out to be more that the hero and female secondary character are cheating themselves of happiness by staying together to please others when they really don't want to. They're not married or even engaged. Second thing: At times I thought the author was giving me a subtle parody of small town romance. The town's name is Beauty and the descriptions made me feel like I'd fallen into someone's decorative Christmas village. Third thing: Most of the secondary characters (the exceptions being Secondary Female Love Interest, Big Brother/Upcoming Hero and Male Best Friend) were either too nicey-nice welcoming or too cartoon villain evil to be believable.Despite these things, I enjoyed the story and both the hero and heroine. There's a sort of gentle drama and it's almost all family focused. No stalkers, no secret babies, no crime lords show their faces in Beauty. That's not to say there's no angst or villains. They're just the kind you might actually run into in real life. And there is some chemistry between the lead characters. I wasn't completely sucked in but I did like it. I'm not in a huge rush to return to Beauty but I will return.