mlleelizabeth

Liz Loves Books

Lakeside Cottage - Susan Wiggs Susan Wiggs writes books that make me hopelessly nostalgic for my childhood summers at the lake and at camp. I chose Lakeside Cottage as my summer kick-off and it was the perfect choice. While this is definitely a romance with the required focus on relationship and HEA it also packs in a lot of extra, well-written story that allows four main characters to do a lot of growing and maturing over the course of a summer. Ms. Wiggs excels at describing lake settings and activities. I think she may love them to the point of near obsession! That works well for me when I am in the mood for it. She writes characters very well also. I think her teens may generally be too mature to be rally believable but that is a small quibble. I think teens are hard to write.This is a slow-paced and mostly gentle romance. The tension and suspense that drive the story are pulled out slowly. This fits the setting and mood of the book well. There are no described love scenes. All the action is behind closed doors. But there is plenty love.I'm very glad I chose to read this when I did. Had I not been in the mood for it, I do not think it would have pulled me in. It's a little too slow paced for my usual mood and i think i might have found the amount of story that was focused on characters other than the hero and heroine annoying. But I was in the mood for it, so it was perfect.