mlleelizabeth

Liz Loves Books

Weekends Required (Danvers, #1) - Sydney Landon This was a bit better than I expected it to be. I'd give it 3.5 stars. It's a typical boss/PA contemporary romance with little side plots dealing with the heroine's creepy neighbor and her mother's Alzheimer's. Both side plots serve to give the hero opportunities to come to the heroine's rescue though the mom side plot is much more fleshed out and also provides some characterization for the heroine. The hero is a hypocritical jerk but he does improve some as the story develops.Previous reviewers have mentioned the stilted, formal, contractionless dialog between the hero and heroine. What's even stranger is that the few contractions that do appear make the dialog sound even more formal and also old fashioned. There are someting like "I've plenty of time to..." That was problem 1 for me. Problem 2 is angst that resolves far too quickly at the end but that is typical of the HP romances this resembles.Then there was the name of the party planning company which I mention in comments below. Why not just use Parties Plus? I found the mother-daughter relationship more interesting than the romance but this was still a nice enough romantic read. It is certainly not the hot mess I was expecting from some reviews. It's basically an HP with a little added plot and some odd and funny diction missteps.