mlleelizabeth

Liz Loves Books

Falling for Love (The McCarthys of Gansett Island, #4) - Marie Force Falling for Love, the fourth book in Ms. Force's Gansett Island series, picks up immediately after the end of the third book in the series and continues some of the storylines started in that book. However, this is a series, not a serialization and both books tell complete romance stories for their main couples, including the requisite HEA. While the previous book focused on second chance romance and overcoming sadness, misfortune and even tragedy, the theme here is taking a chance on something new. Grant McCarthy, the eldest McCarthy sibling, is the bridge character between the two books. Ms. Force uses his story quite skillfully to make the transition and tell a fun, sexy but still thought-provoking opposites attract romance that begins with Grant hoping to win back Abby in book 3 and gradually releasing the past and falling for Stephanie in book 4. The chemistry between the two leads was not as strong for me here as it has been in the other books in this series. I like both Grant and Steph. I could feel their growing respect and friendship. I just never felt the heat despite several good love scenes. I did feel them slowly falling in love, but it didn't have the same intensity of the previous books. They do a lot of fun bantering and this book is much more lighthearted than Ready for Love. There is also the continuation of Ned's romance that began in book 3 and the very beginning of McCarthy cousin Laura's story, though at this point in the series she is mainly falling in love with an old, closed hotel. And the 5th book in the series gets its setup at the very end of this one. There is some energy devoted to some other familiar characters. The book starts with Janey and Joe's wedding and deals with Maddie and Mac's pregnancy. But Ms. Force refrains from turning this into a family drama and keeps the focus on the main romantic storyline. I felt this was a good but not great book. I wish Grant and Stephanie had been just a little more convincing in their passion for each other. Instead I felt they were more passionate about some outside factors. I did enjoy watching Grant grow and change over the course of the book and I think this book provided a good transition into the stories of some new(er) characters. I liked it, just not quite as much. The set up for the next book was actually one of my favorite parts.