mlleelizabeth

Liz Loves Books

Oprah - Kitty Kelley Really 1.55 stars with one star given solely for the author's extensive work researching her subject and compiling and organizing data.Kitty Kelley can certainly put a sentence together and the book's very well organized, but it doesn't present much information we didn't already know or a balanced point of view. Granted, Ms. Kelley did not have access to Ms. Winfrey or her inner circle and she concedes at the beginning that the only quotes she has from Ms. Winfrey came from prior interviews. However, that makes most of this very lengthy book read like nothing but a compilation of the prior interviews. It's most interesting when Ms. Kelley quotes Ms. Winfrey's father and aunt, which is not the majority of the book by far. Unfortunately, that's also what is most troubling. What Ms. Kelley does best with the limited information she had access to is organize and display that information to present a somewhat multi-dimensional picture of Ms. Winfrey. In addition to numerous quotes, there are (incomplete) lists of titles/topics of Ms. Winfrey's show, a filmography, lists of books chosen for Oprah's Book Club and spreadsheets detailing Ms. Winfrey's charitable contributions and programs. But Ms. Kelley's agenda shines through clearly and her good qualities are downplayed and the negative ones are emphasized.As private as Ms. Winfrey is, there will probably never be a good, thorough biography of her. I don't believe she'll ever grant anyone that much access. That's a shame, because I think there is a lot we could learn from her. This bio could have come much closer. It also could have been much more sensational. I never felt like I needed to take a shower after reading it, but I certainly didn't feel enlightened in any way either. (Edited to add a few points I felt are important.)