mlleelizabeth

Liz Loves Books

Secret Mercy (Masters of Mercy #2) - Rebecca Lyndon (Note - I more or less copied and pasted my review of Dark Mercy here since I consider these two "books" chapters of the same book.]This is more of a short story than a novella and since it's an ongoing "series" it probably should be viewed as a chapter from a serial. The two I've read so far took me less than 20 minutes each to read. There are 9 warriors involved so that probably means 9 of them at 99 cents each. Because of the format, there is almost no characterization here. The plot is fine. This (and the rest of the series presumably) is the story of a group of warriors who have been changed into sexual incubi who steal orgasms rather than souls for their goddess. It's an okay premise, and it allows the author to explore the supressed fantasies of 9 different women.The drawback is that there's really not much story or suspense here. The only thing learned is what the woman's fantasy is. In this second chapter, there's some exhibitionism. There is an HEA, so this qualifies as erotic romance, I guess, but with so little characterization it's hard to buy it as romance.The sex scenes are well written and kept my interest, but that's pretty much all there is to this - a sex scene and its set up.Note, it is lendable and I own the first two. Haven't decided yet whether or not I'll buy the third. I intensely dislike this trend towards serialization. More than one favorite author has lost me as a fan over it. The third chapter here seems to be more light bdsm, so its pretty doubtful.