mlleelizabeth

Liz Loves Books

Marriage Made on Paper - Maisey Yates This was an enjoyable fake-engagement romance (and marginally a boss-employee romance though Lily is not technically an employee*). Instead of unrequited one-sided longing that appears in many Harlequins, both Lily and Gage claim they don't want a relationship and both futility fight falling in love. There are plenty of hot love scenes and when they are going at each other (either in lust or denial-based anger) there is plenty of heat and chemistry. In between those times, however they both come off as cold and I had trouble engaging with them. The hero's slightly more sympathetic than the heroine, at least for me, mainly due to his relationship with his sister. I'd give this a bit over 3.5 stars -- maybe 3.75. And I'd recommend it for those times when you want a steady, persistent build up rather than big heartbreaking drama.*Lily owns her own PR firm and has a contract with Gage. She has other employees working on other contract PR work for other clients. Though she has an office in Gage's business, I don't think even the IRS would consider her an employee.