mlleelizabeth

Liz Loves Books

Truly Madly Yours (Truly, Idaho, #1) - Rachel Gibson DNFed. I have enjoyed Ms. Gibson’s Chinooks hockey team series very much. I was hoping the horrible cover art was not a reflection on the writing in Truly, Madly Yours and that I would enjoy this book as much as I have the Chinooks books. Unfortunately, the part I managed to slog through was full of lazy, sloppy writing. There’s a then/than error in the first chapter. Instead of real characterization, the heroine is a cliche “quirky hairdresser with daddy issues who is obsessed with designer shoes” and the hero is acliche “fake bad-boy biker with long flowing hair.” Ugh. Every stale, quickly tossed-off, boring contemporary romance and cozy mystery uses these in place of real characterization. Since I automatically deduct 1 star from romances for each of the following: a) long haired men, b) shoe name dropping and c) then/than errors, I knew I was done early on. I decided to stop and give this book 2 stars before it got knocked down to 1 or less by a stale, cliche plot I could see coming from a mile away. I realize this is one of Ms. Gibson’s older books and I won’t let it stop me from reading others, but I think I have to pass on this series.