mlleelizabeth

Liz Loves Books

For Their Baby (9 Months Later, #60) - Kathleen O'Brien While this was not my favorite of the three books I've read so far in the Malone family series, it was still very good. This time the hero is not a Malone. He's the former fiance of the heroine in the first book who has become a friend of the Malone boys. The heroine is a young bar tender he meets on vacation, has a one night stand with and who becomes pregnant. The baby in question is never a secret. The minute the heroine suspects she is pregnant, before she has even taken a pregnancy test, she hops on a plane for San Francisco to go tell the hero. She's been fired from her job for having sex with a guest, has very little money and no real support network. As she does with the rest of this series Ms. O'brien manages to infuse the story with charm and atmosphere and give all of her characters realistic, likeable personalities. There is a holiday which seems to be one of the author's hallmarks but this time it is Valentine's Day.I have probably read a few dozen "secret baby" Harlequins. What happens in this book is what should happen in all of them. I will not spoil the plot. I'll just say that these two people act much more the way real human beings would act in such a situation. It is very refreshing.The Malones all make appearances here (only briefly in some cases though Colby's around a good bit). And there are some additional secondary characters who have Ms. O'Brien's usual depth and interest. And there is a San Francisco Victorian house that become a bit of a character itself.I enjoyed this book a lot. It has a slower pace than two other books I've read in this series and that was the only real drawback for me. The style is the same and it has Ms.O'Brien's excellent writing. While it can be read as a stand alone, I do recommend reading this series in order. There is considerable character development that occurs over the course of the series., especially for the hero of the fourth book. This book, in particular, would be better read before that fourth book.