mlleelizabeth

Liz Loves Books

Boomerang Bride

Boomerang Bride - Fiona Lowe Fiona Lowe won the 2012 contemporary single title RITA for this book so I have been looking forward to reading it. It was quite good. Definitely one of the better contemporaries I've read this year though I'm not sure I'd rank it best. Ms. Lowe makes good use of the longer format to develop all her characters into realistic, interesting people and to create a plot that goes well beyond standard formulaic romance. Both the hero and heroine start off with some big, very unexpected challenges. Ms. Lowe's characters do a lot of growing while they work through these challenges but it happens gradually for the most part. I really liked this heroine. She comes off as a sort of indomitable pollyanna to the other characters but she's written so that readers can tell when she's crumbling inside. She's one of the best heroines I've come across in terms of being genuinely strong. For those of you who like a good rant, there's a good one here.) The hero's a good guy, sometimes despite his own intentions. He could have grovelled a lot more but he's more the grand gesture type.The secondary characters, including a teenage boy, are all very well developed and have storylines that tie into the main romance. There is a wonderful secondary romance involving the hero's sister that was really my favorite part of the book. There's also a lot of humor woven into the romance. Since the book deals with some fairly serious subjects, the humor provided balance without intruding.The one thing that made it less than a five star read for me was that some of it had just a little too much of a chick lit slant. I got really tired of hearing about boobs: post-mastectomy breasts and insecurity-inducing too small breasts threaten to take over the book for a bit about three quarters of the way through. It's a serious subject the author handled very well but boy was there a lot of boob talk. Overall this was a very enjoyable romance with strong, relatable and likeable characters and a very believable hea.