mlleelizabeth

Liz Loves Books

The Perfect Play (Play by Play, #1)

The Perfect Play (Play by Play, #1) - Jaci Burton The Perfect Play is a very nice sports romance. I can't quite call it great but it is very good. I like the hero a lot. I like the hero's determination a lot. I like that the hero is never a jerk throughout the story. I wish I could say the same for the heroine. Sure, she has some excuses in her background, but she behaves like an idiot a few times. My other little quibbles are a too-wise teenage son (who is otherwise okay) and a slightly too high proportion of love scenes to story. That might be a plus for some, since the love scenes are well written, and especially if you imagine Cover Guy in them, they are sizzling. There's also an extended family I liked very much. Ms. Burton does a good job with the secondary characters, giving them some depth without letting them get in the way of the story. There's a theme I'm not crazy about that's driving the plot (an outsider meddling who pushes the heroine's insecurity buttons) but Ms. Burton does a better job with this theme than many authors do.