mlleelizabeth

Liz Loves Books

Changing The Game (Play By Play, #2)

Changing the Game - Jaci Burton While I enjoyed Changing the Game, I didn't like it quite as much as the first book in this series, The Perfect Play. That book already had a too-high proportion of sex scenes to story for my taste and the sex scene proportion seemed even greater here. Also, the book starts with sex scenes and seems to have little else until a third of the way in. Ms. Burton writes sex very well and I did enjoy what I read of them but there was just so much that I ended up skimming.Once the actual story got started things were a bit better. The heroine of this book is the villainess of the previous book and she is paired with the brother of the hero of the first book. There's a lot of tension between the siblings but the story mainly hinges on the heroine having been in love with the hero for many years and hiding this from him even after they have started having sex. There is some family drama and a Big Misunderstanding that the brother instigates to some degree and exacerbates to a considerable degree. And there is sex. Lots and lots of sex.I like the lead characters okay but I didn't love them. I enjoyed some of the secondary characters, especially the heroine's new friends, more than I enjoyed the leads. I thought the story dragged and got annoyed with the heroine several times and the hero's brother several times as well.Overall I thought this was an okay or even good read but not a great one, except for the sex scenes which were great but dominated the book. I was a little disappointed because this second book was set up in the first book and I had hoped there would be more story to it. I did like it well enough to continue the series.