mlleelizabeth

Liz Loves Books

Doms of Dark Haven

Doms of Dark Haven - Cherise Sinclair, Sierra Cartwright, Belinda McBride 3.5 StarsBought this mainly for Cherise Sinclair's story Simon Says: Mine and while I enjoyed that story a lot, I preferred Sierra Cartwright's Met Her Match. I also enjoyed Belinda McBride's Educating Evangeline but with strong reservations I'll explain below.Master Simon makes an intriguing appearance in Ms. Sinclair's Master of the Mountain so I was eager to read his story. It's good and he's great but I found the heroine a little annoying. Also, mid to late 30s approaching 40 is NOT old and I don't think most women in that age range think of themselves the way this heroine did. That really bugged me. Educating Evangeline had me a bit puzzled as I was reading it, and even more puzzled now that I've tried to find more books in the series. I felt like I'd been dumped without any buildup or background description into a very interesting shifter universe with some sci-fi elements while reading the story in the anthology. The story and most of the characters were well crafted (thought I thought some of the heroine's attitudes were odd and the villains were basically cartoon villains) but I wanted (actually make that needed) more background information and I felt like I was missing something important. Hoping the other books in the series covered the intriguing Truckee pack who appear as secondary characters in the story, I went searching and found only one other book that is technically in this "series," [b:Sex and Chocolate: Toxic|10713688|Sex and Chocolate Toxic|Belinda McBride|http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51scBKMKGZL._SL75_.jpg|15624208]. The book's description doesn't indicate that it covers that packs origins and it seems expensive for what you get on Amazon, so I'm passing for now. There is another book that according to Ms. McBride's website features the same species, but it's futuristic sci-fi and that is not what I'm looking for at this time. That's a shame, because the premise behind the Truckee pack sounded very interesting and Ms. McBride's werewolves are sizzling hot. I hope she'll return to this concept and give us more about them someday. The story was just enough to pull me into the series and then I find there's really no series to be pulled into. Then there's Met Her Match, which prompted me to purchase most of Ms. Cartwright's Hawkeye series. I've read Ms. Cartwright's work before and loved it, so I'm not really surprised I loved this story. Despite being a mid-series short (and not having read any other books in the series), I felt comfortable in the story's universe immediately. The characters have wonderful chemistry and Torin's my favorite Dom in this anthology. Yes, I actually thought he was hotter than Master Simon (who is incredibly hot). The sex and bdsm in this story are very intense. My rating is based on the collection overall, with most points taken off for the problematic Educating Evangeline.