mlleelizabeth

Liz Loves Books

Damaged Goods: New York Series, Book 2

Damaged Goods  - Lainey Reese Oh my goodness. I absolutely loved A Table for Three and I was a bit concerned this sequel would not be nearly as good. I think it is actually a bit better, especially with regard to the suspense plot. Brice is a wonderful hero. He's just the right amount of alpha, possessive Dom without being a scary controlling jerk. I think Terryn is a fairly strong heroine as well, though I felt Brice's character was more developed and the scenes written from his point of view were more real and often more intense. While the romance is strictly between Brice and Terryn, there are some menage scenes with Brice's friend, Gage who I suspect is being set up for book 3. All of the love scenes are scorching hot and there was a good balance between the suspense story and the love scenes. I felt the love scenes also complemented and supported the suspense plot.The secondary characters, especially Gage and Brice's partner, Kent, are very well fleshed out. My only disappointment with this book is that I wish for a book with Kent as the hero, but he seems to have had his romance in this book as the secondary romance. The suspense plot in Damaged Goods is much better than that in Table for Three. I felt the suspense plot in the latter was almost cartoonish and I loved the book despite it, rather than because of it. It also seemed to be there as a contrivance to drive the romance plot. The suspense plot in Damaged Goods makes more sense, is actually suspenseful and even contains some well-written red herrings. This is the area in which Ms. Reese most needed to improve and she came through quite well. It helps that Brice is a cop investigating a homicide but mostly its just better writing in general.I'm very happy the second book in this series turned out so well and looking forward to the third, especially if it is Gage's book. I have a tiny inkling we might have met the heroine as well ...