mlleelizabeth

Liz Loves Books

Hoping for Love: McCarthys of Gansett Island, Book 5

Hoping for Love  - Marie Force This was good, but there's so little focus on Grace and Evan that it felt more like two novellas combined than one romance novel. At least half the book was either tieing up loose ends from previous books or setting up couples for future books. While I enjoyed seeing a lot of familiar characters, I also liked Grace and Evan and I feel like they deserved to have more focus in their own book.As for the actual hero and heroine of this book, they are both likeable and their story is sweet. Evan is a sexy commitment-phobe and Grace is a newly slender innocent who has been badly hurt by her one poor excuse for a boyfriend. There is really not much angst though what little there is is provided exclusively by Evan and his fear of commitment. Most of the drama (and humor) in the book comes from side relationships: Tiffany (the sister of the heroine from book 1) and her crumbling marriage and a potential new relationship, Laura and Owen who we met in a previous book and are obvious sequel bait, Stephanie and Grant (whom I could barely remember - their story didn’t draw me in as well as I thought originally) who have some loose ends to tie up and Linda and Big Mac, the matriarch and patriarch of the series. The Linda and Big Mac storyline was the most interesting at the beginning, but I felt it fizzled midway through. It fizzled sweetly, but it was a fizzle nonetheless. There were two things I disliked about the story. First, Mac and Maddie from the first book are also very present (which is fine) and Mac is back to his annoying meddling (which is not fine at all). Second, Ms. Force and I do not see eye to eye with regard to cheating, adultery and the best way to salvage a shaky relationship. This theme is pervasive in Hoping for Love. Tiffany and her husband and Laura and her husband are both separated. Tiffany spends most of the book flirting with (and eventually kissing) another man,, despite her intent and attempts to save her marriage. Laura’s not trying to salvage her marriage but she is still married and yet starts a relationship with Owen in this book. Tiffany and Maddie’s mother is still married, but is in a relationship with a man who is supposed to be one of the island’s most loveable characters. Even the central relationship has a little whiff of this theme in that a new attractive, male character is introduced to flirt with the heroine when her budding relationship with the hero is at its shakiest (though there is no actual cheating in that case, just mild flirting). It was enough to bug me but not make me hate the book. Readers with zero tolerance for cheating, however, should consider themselves warned. Overall it seemed that Ms. Force need a way to transition between books 4 and 6 and threw in a fluffy romance that makes more sense as a side story than it does front and center. Still, it’s hard to skip this one as it does make the necessary transition and the primary romance is enjoyable despite its shallowness.